If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy appetizer, look no further than bang-bang shrimp lettuce wraps. This dish combines shrimp with a sweet and spicy sauce, all wrapped in crisp lettuce leaves for a refreshing and satisfying bite.
What is Bang Bang Shrimp?
Bang Bang Shrimp is a popular dish in the United States that involves frying shrimp until crispy and coating them in a spicy mayonnaise-based sauce. To balance out the sauce’s heat, the dish is usually served with a side of lettuce or other greens.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Bang Bang Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- Shrimp: You will need shrimp as the main ingredient for this recipe! You can also use chicken or even fish!
- Panko Breadcrumbs: Panko Breadcrumbs are what makes this recipe super crunchy and delicious!
- Butter Lettuce: Served fresh as a bed for the cooked shrimp and other toppings.
- Flour: Used in combination with cornstarch and spices to create a coating for the shrimp.
- Cornstarch: Used in combination with flour and spices to create a coating for the shrimp, which will help to make it crispy when fried.
- Spices: Added to the flour and cornstarch mixture to add flavor to the shrimp.
- Mayo: Used as a base for the sweet chili sauce, which will be drizzled over the cooked shrimp.
- Sweet Chili Sauce: Made with mayo, sweet chili sauce, and soy sauce, this will be used as a topping for the cooked shrimp.
- Soy Sauce: Used in combination with sweet chili sauce and mayo to create a sweet and savory topping for the cooked shrimp.
- Cooking Oil: Fry the coated shrimp until it is golden brown and crispy.
- Rice Wine Vinegar: Used in the sweet chili sauce to add a tangy flavor and balance out the sauce’s sweetness.
Why everyone loves these lettuce wraps
They are crunchy. Do you want a crunchy, sweet, flavorful, and delicious low-carb dinner? This is it! I love something crunchy that doesn’t mess with my goals!
They are easy to make- Mess-free, super simple, and fool-proof. What more can you ask for when considering a quick, weeknight makeup?
They are perfect for meal prep- This recipe is perfect for meal prep. You can serve it with rice and potatoes and have it as your lunch for the next day. The best part is that you can make it up to two days before you plan to eat it!
FAQ for this Bang Bang Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
Q1. Can you make this recipe with chicken instead of shrimp?
Yes, you can substitute the shrimp with chicken to make this recipe. Follow the same instructions and cooking time
Q2. What kind of lettuce can be used in this recipe?
Butter, romaine, and even iceberg lettuce work best for this recipe!
Q3. How long does the recipe last once it has been prepared?
The prepared recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Q4: Can you deep fry the shrimp instead of air frying?
Bang Bang Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- 1 airfryer
- 2 lbs shrimp peeled, deveined,
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 large eggs
Bang Bang Sauce
- 1 cup mayo
- ½ cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ketchup optional
- Cut the shrimp into thirds.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, panko breadcrumbs, and cornstarch.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs.
- Dip the shrimp pieces into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Ensure that the shrimp in the air fryer basket are not touching, spray generously with cooking oil to cover all parts, and cook at 400 degrees for 6 minutes.
- Open the air fryer after 6 minutes, shake the basket for even frying. Spray with more cooking oil and continue air frying for another 6 minutes or until the shrimp are golden brown and crispy.
- While the shrimp is cooking, make the bang bang sauce by combining all the ingredients in a bowl and mixing well.
- Pour the bang bang sauce over the shrimp.
- To assemble the lettuce wraps, take a piece of lettuce and place a few pieces of shrimp inside.
- Drizzle the bang bang sauce over the shrimp and enjoy!