This One Pot Chicken & Spanish Rice is one of my hallmark recipes! And, if you know me, I am a huge fan of one-pot dishes. Sometimes, I want something comforting and tasty at home, minus the dishes. This chicken thighs and Spanish rice Recipe is my go-to! This recipe is delicious, fast, and easy. The seared chicken thighs combined with the Arroz con gandules, the traditional Puerto Rican rice, take your breath away!
Why everyone loves this recipe:
- It’s Fast and Easy- This One Pot Chicken & Spanish Rice recipe takes 30 minutes tops! Season your chicken ahead of time, and you have a delicious dinner ready when you get home! (and cleanup is super easy)
- It’s Perfect for Meal-prep- This is one of my go-to meal-prep recipes for the week. I’ll usually pair it with a leafy veggie, and I have four servings of this amazing meal ready!
- It’s Light and Clean- This recipe is relatively healthy and clean. There are minimal ingredients, dairy free, and a perfect recipe for when you want something easy and clean to prepare.
The Key Ingredients for One Pot Chicken & Spanish Rice
The Chicken Thighs– Bone-in, skin on, chicken thighs are my recconedation but you can use whatever chicken you have on hand!
The gandules beans, “pigeon peas”- These beans ae buttery and soft and native to many Latin American dishes.
The spices- The sazon, adobo, and sofrito make gives this One Pot Chicken & Spanish Rice the unique flavor that sets it apart from other one-pot recipes!
If you are having trouble sourcing the ingredients for this recipe, I recommend using Amazon! Amazon has all of the spices mentioned below, and they are a staple in most of my recipes. Not only do I use Sazon, adobo, and sofrito in the One Pot Chicken & Spanish Rice recipe, I use it in many of my other recipes too! A fully stocked spice cabinet with staple and unique spices will take your home-cooking to the next level!
One Pot Garlic Chicken & Spanish Rice
For the chicken
- 5-6 bone-in skin on chicken thighs Use whichever you like, this is my personal favorite!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsps paprika
- 1 tsp adobo
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For the rice
- 2 cups long grain rice *long grain is best for this recipe but you can also use medium gain rice! My favorite brand of rice is canilla. rinse your rice!
- 2 cups water
- 1 can gandules beans also referred to as pigeon peas
- 2 tbsps Sazon Seasoning
- 1/2 Chicken bouillon cube
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt, pepper, adobo to taste
- Trim and seasoning your chicken thighs.
- In a hot pain, brown your chicken thighs on medium high heat with 1 tbsp of oil.
- Remove, and set aside.
- In the same pain, sautée onion and minced garlic until softened.
- Add in rinse rise, beans, and water
- Season the rice mixture with Sazon, chicken bouillon, and oregano
- Cook rice for 3-5 minutes on high or until most of the water is absorbed
- Add chicken on top of the rice
- Cover and cook on low for 25-30 minutes.