Roasted Compound Butter is one of my favorite recipes. It is the only roast chicken recipe you’ll ever need when roasting a whole chicken. Making a whole chicken can seem intimidating, but I promise you, it’s worth it. I love roasting chicken because it’s much more affordable than buying meat individually. You get multiple portions that you can split over several meals. I usually roast a chicken earlier in the week and use half the meat to eat with sides and the other half for salads, soups, and sandwiches. This recipe guarantees a perfect, juicy chicken that’s packed with flavor and versatile. This roasted garlic & herb chicken recipe will change your life! Thank me later.
Why everyone loves this recipe:
- It’s Juicy- The key to this perfectly juicy chicken is the rub. I’ve been cooking this chicken for years, and the juiciness of the yogurt soaks into the chicken keeping it juicy throughout the baking process.
- It’s Perfect for Weeknight Dinners- This roasted chicken can be broken down into four servings, assuming each serving is two pieces. I eat this chicken with mashed potatoes the first night, salad for lunch the next day, and then I nibble on it during the wee hours of the night for the rest of the week. LOL
- It’s Simple– A whole chicken can be easy with this recipe! Once you master it, you’ll be addicted. I make this garlic and herb roasted chicken at least once a week!
Key Ingredients in Roasted Garlic & Herb Chicken
The Whole Chicken– You want to get a 5-6 lb chicken for this recipe. Fresh chickens are best. Do not cut the chicken up, keep it whole! Keeping the chicken whole keeps al of the juices trapped inside, (this is a good thing!) 😉
The Garlic- Need I say more? I’m a bonafide garlic girl!
The Herbs- You’ll want to use whichever fresh herbs you have. I like to use rosemary, thyme and oregano for this recipe but truly, any fresh herbs will work!
The Compound Butter-You’ll want to get a big quality butter for this recipe! The butter soaks into the chicken keeping it moist and juicy and ensuring the chicken has a crunchy top!
The spices– All of the spices in this recipe bring out the flavor of the butter and herbs! You can use what you have on hand, this recipe is very versatile, get creative!
Roasted Garlic & Herb Whole Chicken
- 1 whole chicken 5-6 lbs is best
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 tsp adobo
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 springs thyme chopped fine
- 4 sprigs rosemary chopped fine
- 4 sprigs oregano chopped fine
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tsps paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- First, prep your whole chicken and pat dry.
- Make your compound butter. Take your room temperature butter and mix it with all of your compound butter ingredients. Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- While your compound butter is chilling, make your chicken rub. Coat your chicken thoroughly in the olive oil rub.
- Once your butter is firm, smear the butter under the chicken skin. If it it looks lumpy underneath the chicken skin, your on the right track!
- Cook for chicken on 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until your chicken reaches an Internal temp of 165.
- 10 minutes before your chicken is cooked, remove the butter juices, pour over chicken, and increase the heat to 400 degrees for optimal flavor!
- Make sure your chicken is patted dry and at room temperature to get the optimal crunch and crisp.