This is hands down the best braised beef short ribs recipe you’ll ever try, I promise. This recipe is cooked low and slow on the stovetop and will fill your home aroma with a sweet, savory, memorable smell! This recipe is perfect for holidays, romantic dinners, special events, and celebrations! Make these delicious short ribs over pasta, rice, mash potatoes, or even grits!
If you love this Braised Short Rib Recipe, check out my Honey Butter Cornbread and Creamy Garlic Mash Potatoes next!
Why everyone loves this Braised Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- It’s Flavorful- The flavors of this recipe are incredible. The tender short-rib meat combined with the deep red wine flavors and herbs will take your breath away. If you want to impress someone, this is the recipe!
- It’s Perfect for Holidays and Special Occasions- This recipe is perfect for special occasions because it plates beautifully, is an actual labor of love, and it takes time and commitment- making it something that any person eating it can appreciate.
- Its versatile- I highly encourage you to make these short ribs your own! You can use ingredients you have in your home to substitute or even add to this recipe! If you don’t want to use the stove, you can cook these in the oven! If you prefer the crockpot, do you! Regardless of how you choose this make these short ribs. Just know that they take time- aprox 3.5 hours or so! These are perfect for a lazy Sunday!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Beef Short Ribs
- Mirepoix (Carrots, White Onions, Celery)
- Tomato Paste
- Red Cooking Wine
- Beef Broth
- Fresh Herbs
How to Make Beef Braised Short Ribs (brief overview)
- Season your short ribs.
- Sear your short ribs and remove.
- Add your mirepoix to your pot, and toss in tomato paste and flour.
- Pour in your wine and beef broth and add your short ribs back into your pot.
- Cook slow and low on the stovetop on low hear for 2-3 hours.
Substitutions & Recipe Variations
- Make it alcohol-free- If you don’t drink alcohol or don’t have it on a handful, you can use sherry wine or additional beef broth
- Make it Keto- To make it keto, serve with cauliflower mash and skip the flour. You’ll still have a delicious short rib recipe!
- Make it with another cut of beef- You can use chuck roast or a thick cut of stewing beef if you cannot find short ribs just follow the same technique!
Lets Make it Together! Follow Toni Chapman, @themoodyfoody on Tiktok
@themoodyfoody beef short ribs ?were perfect for dinner #dinnerrecipes #holidayrecipes ♬ DO 4 LOVE – Snoh Aalegra
Tips to Make the Perfect Stovetop Short Braised Ribs
- Go low and slow- These braised beef short ribs are a labor of love! These are perfect for a Sunday afternoon, the longer they cook, the more tender they’ll be.
- Make a Mirepoix- A mirepoix is a mix of vegetables that are sautéed. A mirepoix is used as a foundation for stews, braising, and soups. In this recipe, we’ll be using an equal mix of diced carrots, white onions, and carrots.
- Use Fresh Herbs- Fresh herbs are the perfect way to add flavor and depth to your slow-cooked stovetop short ribs!
- Use a good wine- The best wine for short ribs is a dry red wine like cabaret, merlot, shiraz or even a Malbec! You’ll use about half the bottle of wine for this recipe, and you can drink the other half too!
What To Eat Short Ribs With?
- Cheddar Smokey Grits
- Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Jasmine Rice
Easy Braised Short Rib Recipe Common Questions
What if I don’t have a dutch oven?
If you don’t have a dutch oven you can use a large cooking pot that can withstand high heat. I recommend an 8 qt pot or larger so that your short ribs can be completely submerged in liquid allowing them to cook slowly and get tender.
How long do I cook braised short ribs take to cook?
Short ribs can take 2-3 hours to cook depending on your temperature. You will know when your short ribs are cooked and when the meat is perfectly soft!
What if I want to make these short ribs without wine?
You can skip the wine and substitute it for additional beef broth, sherry wine, or even apple juice! Even without wine, this recipe is a hit!
Can I make these braised short ribs recipe in the slow cooker?
Yes! These braised short ribs would also work in a slow cooker. Cook using instructions 1-3 on low heat for 5-7 hours.
I hope you enjoy this Braised Short Rib Recipe!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Instagram, Tiktok, or Pinterest!
Braised Beef Short Ribs
- 1 Dutch oven or large pot
- 4-5 lbs Beef Short ribs cut short and thick
- 1.5 tsps kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the broth
- 2 cups Red Wine Cabarnet, Shiraz, or Malbec
- 3 cups Beef, Veal, or Chicken Stock
- 3 tbsps flour
- 3 tbsps butter salted
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste get the good stuff! in a tube!
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsps adobo
- fresh herbs thyme, rosemary, oregano
- 1/2 cup coke or dr. pepper soda optional
- 1 tsp browning seasoning optional
- Allow your beef short ribs to come to room temperature before seasoning thoroughly with salt and pepper. Season the short ribs on all sides. Let the short ribs rest after they are seasoned for 15 minutes.
- In a large dutch oven, add oil to a pan on medium high heat. Sear the short ribs on each side for about 3 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add your mirepoix mix to your dutch oven, and sauté until soft. Then, add in tomato paste and flour and mix. Cook 2-3 minutes and add in wine, and broth. Mix. Allow your sauce to simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Add in brown sugar, adobo, bay leaf, fresh herbs, whole garlic bulb. Toss in short ribs. Cover and cook on low heat for 2.5 -3 hours.
- Once your short ribs are perfectly tender, remove them from the pot and set aside. Then, strain the remaining liquid thats left pot and reduce down by half by cooking for 10 minutes on medium heat. Add in your soda, browning,and butter and allow your sauce to thicken.