Today, I’m thrilled to share a recipe that has a special place in my heart (and my stomach) – a mouthwatering Chicken Pot Pie. This classic comfort dish is a symphony of flavors and textures, bringing together tender shreds of chicken, a medley of sautéed veggies, and a luscious creamy sauce, all encased in a flaky puff pastry crust. It’s the kind of meal that wraps you up in warmth and nostalgia. Join me on this culinary adventure as we sauté, simmer, and bake our way to a slice of pure comfort. Let’s dive into the details of creating a homemade Chicken Pot Pie that’ll have your taste buds doing a happy dance!
What is Chicken Pot Pie?
Chicken pot pie is a savory and comforting dish that typically consists of a flaky pastry crust encasing a hearty filling. The filling is a delightful mixture of diced chicken, vegetables like carrots and peas, all bound together in a creamy and flavorful sauce. The pie is baked to golden perfection, creating a crispy crust that contrasts with the tender and flavorful interior. It’s a classic comfort food that warms both the stomach and the soul.
Why Everyone Loves Chicken Pot Pie
- It’s Perfect for families- Looking for a family treat that everyone will salivate over? This dish is 100% family friendly and the kids will love it too! No spice, no crazy ingredients, just straight-up, home style cooking!
- It’s so rich and flavorful- This is one of these dishes that you just have to try for yourself in order to understand just how amazing it tastes. The creaminess of the heavy cream, combined with the herbs and spices, coupled with the rotisserie chicken makes this a match made in cozy cooking heaven!
- It’s super simple to make- Anyone can make this dish! You can probably make it using ingredients ents you already have at home!
Let’s Make Chicken Pot Pie Together, with @themoodyfoody on Buzzfeed Tasty
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Shredded Chicken
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Whole Milk
- Vegetables (Carrots, Mushrooms, Potatoes)
- Puff Pastry, (this is the brand I use and love)
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
- Make it without Meat!
Transform the classic Chicken Pot Pie into a delicious Meatless Dish. Replace the shredded chicken with oyster mushrooms that are chopped fine, or plant-based chicken. Enhance the flavor with a vegetarian broth, and amp up the richness with a mix of white beans or tofu cubes. The result is a veggie-packed pot pie that’s just as satisfying as its meaty counterpart.
- Make it Pescatarian
Consider a mix of shrimp, crab, and chunks of white fish. Infuse the creamy sauce with a touch of Old Bay seasoning, lemon zest, and a splash of white wine for a coastal-inspired twist. This seafood pot pie is a luxurious and savory treat for seafood lovers.
- Gluten-Free Gem:
Craft a Gluten-Free Gem for those with dietary restrictions. Instead of traditional all-purpose flour, use a gluten-free flour blend to create the roux. Opt for a gluten-free puff pastry or try a potato crust for the top. Ensure all other ingredients, including the broth and spices, are gluten-free certified. This variation maintains the comforting essence of a pot pie while catering to a gluten-free lifestyle.
- Feel free to mix and match elements from each variation to create a customized pot pie that suits your taste buds and dietary needs. Happy cooking!
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced potatoes
- 3 tbsps flour
- 3 tbsps butter unsalted
- 2 tbsps fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc) chopped fine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb shredded chicken
- 1 box puff pastry
- 2 tsps salt adjust as needed
- 1 tsps pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, and peas in a bit of oil over medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the butter to the skillet and let it melt. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir continuously to create a roux. Cook for 2-3 minutes to remove the raw flour taste.
- Gradually pour in the heavy cream, milk, and chicken broth while stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Season the mixture with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add in the shredded chicken and mix well.
- Roll out one sheet of puff pastry and line a pie dish with it. Trim any excess pastry hanging over the edges. Fill the pastry-lined dish with the chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Roll out the second sheet of puff pastry and place it over the filling. Press the edges of the top and bottom pastry sheets together to seal the pie. Trim any excess.
- Brush the top of the puff pastry with the beaten egg. This will give it a beautiful golden finish.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.