This Crispy Chicken Sandwich recipe takes me back. I remember when the world shut down over Popeyes Chicken Sandwich. I, too, waited hours in line to pick up the viral sandwich that had everyone going crazy online. It WAS good, but I was a little disappointed, and being the overachiever I am, I decided to test out my Crispy Chicken Sandwich.
I wanted my sandwich to have multiple components, a fantastic bread, an amazing sauce, and the chicken- it had to be perfect.
I tested a few Crispy Chicken Sandwich Recipes before settling on this particular recipe.
Why everyone loves this Crispy Chicken Sandwich Recipe;
- It has the ultimate crunch- This Crispy Sandwich has the type of crunch you can hear in the net room. The buttermilk marinates, and the cornstarch combined give it the ultimate big bite!
- The sauce is delicious- The kickin’ mayo is breathtaking! It has a bit of heat, but it’s mostly sweet!
- It’s perfect for date nights, entertaining, and parties- These chicken sandwiches are relatively easy to assemble. Once you prep your ingredients, all you need to do is fry the chicken! I like to make these for groups!
Tips for making the perfect Chicken Sandwich;
- Marinate your chicken thighs– You want the buttermilk to cling to the chicken thighs; this will also help keep the chicken moist in the frying process!
- Let your chicken rest– Similar to many of my other recipes, like my famous fried chicken recipe; you must allow your chicken to rest at room temperature after coating it with your dry mixture!
- BONUS TIP (optional) To get the ultimate crunch, take a few tablespoons of wet batter and drop it in your dry batter, creating little pellets. Adding a few drops of wet better to the dry batter will help make another layer of crunch to your coating! The dry batter should have a few lumpy pieces, and during the frying process, this creates a nicer-looking Crispy Chicken Sandwich!
Toni’s Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- 1 pack pretzel or brioche bread bread is everything!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsps paprika
- 2 tbsps salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
For the kickin' mayo
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp pickle juice
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- Mix all the seasoning together and divide it in half.
- Add half of your seasoning to the buttermilk and marinate chicken for 2 hours.
- Combine flour, corn starch and the rest of the seasoning.
- Coat chicken thigh into flour mixture, and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil to medium-high
- In a small bowl, mix mayo sauce ingredients
- Build your sandwich. Toast your buns, spread sauce on both sides, add pickles, add chicken.